Sunday, 25 November 2012

Slog Assignment.


Note: I think I just did something stupid and forgot to public my "Working towards a goal. (4)" which I did Thursday night before I left for Rochester. Anyway that is why I havent posted in the last couple days. *(4) only talked about me going through the Slog Assignment topics. :/ I hope that is not too crucial. 

Today I worked on actually starting the Assignment/Mathematical portion of this slog. 
Below is my starting works on the first two problem solving questions:
1. Space Splicing: 
I can divide a sheet of paper into two regions with a single straight line. With two straight lines, I can divide a sheet into four regions, and with three straight lines I can divide it into seven regions.
If n is some positive whole number, what is the maximum number of regions I can divide a sheet of paper into with n straight lines?
2. Paper Folding: Grasp one end of a strip of paper between the thumb and index finger of your right hand, and grasp the other end between the thumb and index finger of your left hand. Fold the strip of paper once, so that the end of the strip that was in your left hand now is on top of the end that was in your right hand, and the thumb and finger of your left hand now grips the fold at what was the middle. If you were to unfold the strip of paper now, it would have a single crease in a direction you might want to call "down."
If you carry out the fold several times, always folding the strip so that the end of the strip that is in the left hand is placed over the end that is in the right hand, what pattern of "up" and "down" folds do you get? For example, if I make two folds, I get a left-to-right pattern of "up," "down," "down."
Note: This is mainly me pondering these questions. I shall post more tomorrow/day-after.

No comments:

Post a Comment